Thursday, July 24, 2014

Comic Book Reviews: Batman Eternal #16 and Batman '66 #13

I'm going to keep this short because there is A LOT to talk about with the Zero Year finale and I'm trying to do a special Batman 75th anniversary blog to boot. So let's talk each book really fast.



I gave Eternal's latest installment a 4.7/10. It would have been 4.5 or slightly lower but I didn't want to penalize a book with solid art for a story that went nowhere.

Honestly, that's the big issue with this book. Only one subplot moved forward, and even then it wasn't by much. Add in the fact that the focal point of the issue was the magical/supernatural subplot, which was the least interesting of the bunch, and as such didn't feel the need to explain how any of the plot was happening, and you get a frustrated reader in me.

I'm sure those who are more used to characters like this will be able to get into the story, but even they have to recognize that the biggest development in this issue was that Lt. Bard may or may not soon be getting with Vicki Vale. And ultimately, this is a mystery story, so areas where the story is vague or intentionally leaving out information makes it hard for a reader to keep up with the clues at hand.

I could see people enjoying this (heck, it got a really high rating from IGN) but for me, this was the first issue of Eternal where I felt taxed.

Meanwhile in Batman '66, Adam West and Burt Ward have to deal with a Batman TV series gaining popularity. And it's super-dark compared to them.

Yes, they're going this route. And yes, it is as hilarious as it sounds.

There's no way not to have a smile on your face as this story unfolds.

It is a beautiful fourth wall annihilator that feels exactly like what would have happened if the 60s Batman had continued during the Denny O'Neill era and his stories became a TV show in the West-Ward universe.

I freaking love this book. And for the record, this may be the best art all week, and given Greg Capullo and FCO's record, that's saying A LOT.

I give it an 8.8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment