Thursday, July 10, 2014

Comic Book Reviews: Batman Eternal #14, Detective Comics #33 and Superman/Wonder Woman #10

Three solid titles, only one reaches a memorable level, but the rest are definitely fun reads.



The top book this week (and so far this month) is Batman Eternal #14, which gets a 9.5/10. This is both due to the spectacular art from Jason Fabok as well as a very cool conclusion to the first act of the gang war storyline.

Penguin and Falcone finally come face-to-face and the big plan from officer Bard and Vicki Vale was revealed. I can honestly say I was pumped when Bard and Batman had their little rooftop conversation at the end of the issue, and I can REALLY honestly say it went in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Bard is quickly becoming a legitimately interesting figure in the Batman universe and I definitely want to see which direction he goes for the rest of the issues.

Even the stuff in Arkham wasn't too bad, though I'll admit I'm wary of giving any hope to a storyline involving post-Flashpoint Duela Dent.

The funniest stuff this issue was the check-in with Red Robin and Harper Row, who is moving ever closer to her debut as Bluebird.

My biggest gripe is that it was oddly convenient for Batman to be in Blackgate at the exact moment Jim Gordon has his moment of self-doubt. Even a throwaway line could have solved the problem.

Anyway really great issue and I really hope the book can carry the momentum.

I talk the other issues in the video (as well as editorialize on Grayson), but here are the scores:

Detective Comics #33 - 7.9/10 (8.2/10 for adding supplemental behind-the-scenes material)
Superman/Wonder Woman #10 - 7.3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment