Thursday, March 13, 2014

Comic Book Reviews: Batman #29, Nightwing #29 and Blue Beetle #23

In the audio, Blue Beetle moves into his final arc from his 1980s solo series, and you can get my thoughts there exclusively.

Saw this online and thought, 'I have to use this.'
Follow the link at the end to see this guy's blog.


But anyway, let's talk about the final Kyle Higgins Nightwing issue. It's a captivating and legitimate way to end the series.

Yeah, I know. I have to read next month's Issue #30 and get effectively the epilogue on Dick Grayson's life, but this is the end of the story this title tried to tell, and except for the fact that they left a major subplot out of the story (the cop with the costume), they did a nice job summarizing Dick's life and concluding the most recent arc.

I thought the art was solid, though it's definitely hit higher notes, and the plotting was some of the best I've seen from a title that has been dragged through countless editorial mandates and forced to end. Honestly, Blue Beetle could have taken a lesson from this.

I gave this issue an overall score of 8/10.

And, of course, let's talk about Batman: Zero Year. I think this is probably the one of Scott Snyder's three best issues in this arc. Issue #29 was a great story that concluded Dr. Death's story, showcased Jim Gordon's past biting him in the ass, and kicked off the final, three-issue Riddler arc.

Every character was on point and played their part well. My only complaint with character is that Dr. Death did not need to monologue. That just felt out of place.

But otherwise, the action was good and the interactions between Bruce and Alfred via communicator was pretty hilarious.

I also love how Jim Gordon is being given such time to develop. This was a similar compliment I could give with the Black Mirror, so yeah, kudos to Snyder.

As for the art, Greg Capullo and his team used the extra month to hit bulls-eyes. I loved the art and color themes in this issue and I loved the call-back to old Frank Miller art styles.

Overall, this is one of the best issues this month. I'm giving it a 9/10.

And as promised, check out the blog I talked about in the first caption here. It's title is called the G33K blog and his reviews of this series were really solid. Give them a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment