Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Comic Book Reviews: Batman Eternal #10, Detective Comics #32 and Superman/Wonder Woman #9

I think I've got my 300th blog topic already in place: Why do modern writers grasp Batman so much easier than Superman?



The Batman books seem to be more capable of crossovers because DC seems to have a good core of writers in the group who have a similar understanding of the character. Case in point: Batman Eternal is producing constantly strong issues despite having so many writers collaborating.

Issue #10 was another strong installment despite really just being more setup. There was a solid multi-layer kidnapping when Carmine Falcone traps Catwoman, only to be caught by a livid Professor Pyg.

There were a couple of laugh-worthy moments within Gotham's police force and between Bruce and the pair of Pennyworths in his mansion.

I have no complaints with the art besides Catwoman's jawline. There seems to be a set of artists that can't seem to draw any jaw shape besides square in action shots, and it is a little distracting.

Nonetheless, it's becoming clear in this story that there's a bigger villain at play than simply The Roman, so let the speculation begin!

As for the issue itself, it's a "Solid B+." (Get it, WWE fans?) 8.7/10

By contrast, Superman's crossover event is suffering from different writers approaching the plot way too differently and having two distinct ways of showing Clark's thought processes.

It's actually the biggest frustration with the story. I don't feel like I'm reading the same Supes from one part to the next.

My second biggest frustration is the random shoehorning of the Red Lantern Corps into this story. If this is how Supergirl is getting a tie-in, count me out for that entry.

The art is standard Tony S. Daniel awesomeness, but it's constantly being undercut by Superman's random head convo with Doomsday and Wonder Woman somehow feeling less active in this story than in Action Comics.

It's decent enough, though, and I give it a 6.8/10 if you want to judge for yourself.

As for Detective, it's the strongest entry of the bunch.

I love what I'm getting from Det. Harvey Bullock in terms of characterization and the idea of giving him a solid two-page spread of his apartment was a nice touch.

Batman's conversation with the murder victim's daughter was also a good way to show the softer side of the Dark Knight, and it served as a nice contrast for when Batman electrocuted an octopus in an aquarium to catch some henchman. (Yes, it is as awesome as it sounds.)

My only gripe with this story is that the villains so far feel really off. When I look at the gorgeous watercolor art that seems to be coming into its own now, these are not the villains I would picture. That said, they're at least funny and that's a plus.

It's a definite must-buy and it gets a 9.2/10 from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment