Monday, March 26, 2018

Thoughts from Up North: CMLL Viernes 3/23

My recent review of the Homenaje a Dos Leyendas card got me to thinking that I should give my thoughts on the CMLL programming, to help fill a void in the wrestling community.

Unfortunately, while CMLL is profitable (and one of the few major companies that has been able to accomplish this feat), the company has had a miserable history when it comes to archiving their footage. While they gladly accept working relationships and broadcast expansions into the US and Japan, they don't really seek them out. And their method of building feuds is too slow and infrequent for international viewers who are used to storylines being made clear.

These issues cause the company to almost exist in a vacuum - almost like the tourists who simply want to see that "masked wrestling we heard about on TV" dictate the method of booking.

Even so, CMLL probably has one of the most consistently good weekly products in its Friday show. It's rare that any match is outright bad, and when the company decides to push a feud, the match that is eventually given does tend to pay off well. I've taken to watching the Friday show more frequently this year than any WWE brand, and much of that is due to the caliber of talent.

Is it a perfect company? No, there are plenty of ways to improve. That said, hopefully I can provide notes on what makes the show worth seeing.

One final note: I definitely won't hit every CMLL show. If something of serious note happens on the Monday shows from Puebla, or the Tuesday Arena Mexico shows, I will probably discuss that specific point. Otherwise, I will limit myself to the Friday shows, and even then, I'm not paid to do this, so it will only be when my teaching allows me time to write.

So this week's opener was a mini-Estrella tag match where técnicos Stukita and Shockercito defeated Mercurio and Pequeño Nitro. I actually can't comment much on this, as the match was joined in progress on the feed. Still, I can at least note that I am definitely a fan of Shockercito and Nitro. I've seen them enough to know I will get good, fast-paced action with them, and that's enough for me to be impressed with an opener.

In the second match, rudos Templario, Sagrado, and captain Virus defeated Magia Blanco, Pegasso and captain Star Jr. The heels took the first and third fall. Virus is quickly rising through the ranks for me, which will come as no surprise to those who know him. He's a long-time veteran. Templario is definitely my favorite of the young heels. I love the whole look of his mask and the Templar gimmick. He's a great pace-setter.

The faces did solid work as well, with Blanco and Star looking like the key figures. Pegasso seems to come up on a lot of shows, and while I don't dislike him, he feels like a wrestler who fills out space on the card. Still, fun match that was worth about 3 stars.

For some reason, Blue Panther Jr. won a lightning match (10-minute time limit, single-fall match) against Drone. I honestly am not sure why this match existed or why the two went against each other, but it was an effective way to push BPJ. Drone was game, but BPJ looked larger and more in control the entire match. There's a big legacy to live up to when Blue Panther is your dad, but I consider myself to be a fan of BPJ, and even more so, his brother, The Panther. The match is nothing to write home about, with a lot of hard-hitting spots and a submission finish, but nothing was really wrong here. I give it 2.75 stars.

Match 4 was strange, with Misterioso Jr., Puma and Tiger winning the last two falls over Audaz, Guerrero Maya Jr. and Fuego. The heels got the last fall when a sudden accidental mask removal caused a DQ. It's a shame because everyone seemed to be on their game (except Misterioso Jr., who seemed slow and lackadaisical until the post-match).

Audaz is getting a real push in CMLL, and is already into the second half of the Friday shows. Good for him. Fuego seems to be putting his Fantastica Mania appearance to good use, and he had some good spots here. Puma and Tiger tried to keep the match pace up, but something didn't click here. Worth noting, though, that Misterioso took Audaz's mask on the way out, so a feud might be brewing. I give the match 2.5.

The semi-main was a mixed trios match, with heel Matt Taven working with brothers Niebla Roja and Angel de Oro to beat face Volador Jr. and Nueva Generacion Dinamitas siblings Cuatrero and Sanson. Roja and Oro could very easily become a successful tag team, especially with their tandem submissions as a finisher. Oro and Volador also seem to have a real knack for aggression, which might make for a great set of rudo traits. I don't think either will go that route, but I could see it happening.

This match got 3 stars. Afterward, Taven attacked Volador to demand a title shot. This would be Volador's third defense of the NWA Historic Welterweight Championship in the last three months. Can you tell this is the belt that's getting a push?

The main event was a straight-falls win for Diamante Azul, Marco Corleone, and Ultimo Guerrero over Kraneo, Rush and Terrible. The teams had to work on the spot for Marco, who injured himself diving into the ring with a flying crossbody. If that was faked, it was VERY impressive selling from both Corleone and rudo referee Tirantes.

It's hard to tell if it was real or not because Corleone not only stayed in the match, but took submissions and bumps from his opponents. Tough guy.

As for the match itself, it was good. Easily the top of the card at 3.25 stars. I liked the story in the second fall that Corleone tried to fight his way back in, as well as the fact that he didn't succeed because Los Ingobernables went to injure, not to win.

Overall, a lot of storylines seem to be starting, and we are off and running in this post-HDL world.


No comments:

Post a Comment