Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Comic Book Reviews: Batgirl #20 and Nightwing #20

So I'm a week delayed on my blogs, unfortunately, and much of that has to do with the new project I just began working on: A fanfiction crossover between a fanfiction and the source material it's fanfiction-ing!

To make that make more sense, I'm writing a fic called "Harry Potter and the Moment of Crossover," which is a story where a Voldemort from another timeline invades, forcing Harry, Ron and Hermione to find a way into his timeline for more information. When he gets there, though, he finds that Voldemort died in the 1980s, a lot of people who died in the first war are alive now, and Snape is married to his mother and has a son.

Turns out Snape is the same one from his timeline and he's been allowed to relive his life (the story of which is told in Sindie's "The Moment It Began"). If you know the main HP story, this story will be easy enough to follow and is now three chapters in. Take a look if you have time.

Anyway, shameless plug over. Let's talk comics!

Batgirl #20

You know, Gail Simone is not making her triumphant return to this title worth my time. This may be the first Batgirl comic written by the signed writer that is really freaking awful. I mean look at that cover! Does that thing have a "Batgirl" feel to you?

Anyway, the Ventriloquist makes their first appearance in the New 52 and, yeah, it's a woman this time. Not just a woman, but a creepy girl who gets a magic puppet and goes on a supernatural rampage. Part of the fun of the Ventriloquist is that you're almost certain the puppet isn't alive and yet the fact you have to question it makes him more unsettling.

That's not the case here, and it's basically a possessed girl with a freaky-as-all-hell toy. Oh, and the puppet's a pervert too. That's a thing.

While all this is happening, Jim Gordon is livid that Batgirl killed his psychopath of a son. Um... why? You never showed that kind of inner protectiveness when he was being insane in "Black Mirror." You have no guarantee he's dead because you haven't found the body.

But the most important factoid that should be mentioned here: WHY ISN'T HE TALKING WITH BATMAN OVER THIS? Have they really not met up yet to hash this out before he goes into manhunt mode for what happened. Wouldn't it make sense to get Batman involved on this if a Bat-family member is going rogue? Hopefully that's the plan for Tomasi's next issue of Batman and [Insert second character here], but I shouldn't have to rely on OTHER BOOKS to make this make sense.

The art is unsettling and really gory and I'm left wondering how Batgirl, usually one of the most fun titles DC produces, has gotten this messed up. Red Sonja is traditionally darker, but Gail Simone appears to know how to make that fun and serious. This got really dark, really fast.

Overall, this is an unpleasant issue with a nonsensical change to a villain and characters acting WAY out of their normal behavioral spectrum. This better get better quickly.

Nightwing #20

I feel really weird about this book. I buy it each month, love the characters, have fun reading it, but I never have that anxiousness and excitement to get it the way I do with Snyder's Batman or Waid's Green Hornet.

This is another solid issue, nonetheless, and the art doesn't suck now! I really like the lighter tones used on the people here.

Dick has a new possible love interest in his life as his roommate's actual fellow tenant comes back early and is a woman who seems to get on well with Dick... after she apologizes for attacking him, thinking he was a prowler.

It's humor like that that makes Nightwing such a fun hero to read about. The Prankster, who seems to be the main villain at the moment, is also written in that vein, playing vigilante by putting people in really uncomfortable situations if they have wronged people. He or She has an interesting first encounter with Nightwing that makes you wonder about his or her motivations.

Lastly, there's the Tony Zucco plot, which gets a new layer to it, teasing that Zucco might have some remorse for past actions. I'm not sure if I'm just looking too deep into it, but he at the very least doesn't seem to be part of a deranged plot at the moment (at least not intentionally), so that should be monitored for future issues.

Like I said, this is a good book that deserves your money. I just wish I could get more amped for it and I really have no idea why I feel like I've cooled on this title when I still get the same enjoyment in the moment.

Follow me at twitter.com/seantherebel and like my page at www.facebook.com/SeanNetworkBlogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment